mangOH VM feedback

so whats the feedback on the VM? :slight_smile:

like it, makes your life much easier, too complicated…?
what should we improve…?

I think the newer VM goes a little bit smoother than the previous version. The directory structures are fairly self explanatory and the steps are easy to follow. Doing it a few times, I now know the “architecture” of it and am playing with creating apps. Now I ran the “make” file only. Looks like it built update files for each WP module and for the red and green board. I think I could have done a make red_wp85 and it would have only built for my particular board and module. Looking at my older VM, I do see that it only built for the red wp85, so I guess I could have saved some build time just building for that.

Lastly with both VM’s, I have had some issues with computer resources. I guess the default settings is for the VM to use 3.5GB of RAM. My computer only has 4 GB of RAM total, so sometimes it will freeze up. But I have lowered that down to 1.5 and will see how it does. I have a dedicated desktop computer for mangOH Red development.

I’m lowering the default RAM to 2 GB based on the fact that I didn’t see any difference in compile time when building using the command line. It may be necessary for dev studio users to bump up the RAM allocation. I haven’t really explored that though.

might also consider vm images for KVM too, as its much more efficient then virtualBox… which requires being installed, where kvm has a much cleaner integration with linux and tools like virt-viewer and libvirt

you could probably export you vb image as raw and just post it also to the forum, again note a ton of people use vmware also, having only one choice makes it more difficult for users and forces them to a specific tool, other hands is … more Vms to create manage and support

I have only used the mangOH VM under virtualbox so far. I believe @nick is using vmware to run the VM. He told me that virtualbox didn’t work well for him on Mac OSX.

I agree that kvm would be better/faster/etc for running the VM on Linux. A little bit of searching indicates that it’s possible to convert a .ova file to be used with KVM. If you’re already running Linux though, I feel like a docker container for the build tools and build dependencies would be more useful than a full-blown VM. I know the Developer Studio team did some work on docker toolchains, but I think they were only focused on building Legato apps and not on building the Legato framework itself or building the yocto based Legato Linux image.

We’re definitely considering trying something Docker based such that we can build in the cloud easily. We don’t have any solid physical build servers yet so it may be a more suitable solution. VMware was more of a quick fix since it worked better than VirtualBox.

Who wants a KVM image, I have one converted

We’ll try it out. Could you send the link to download?
thanks.

Hello Asyal

I have tested your new VM. Very great Job !

Francis

Hello,

In case someone is interested: I wanted to start trying to understand how mangOH Red development environment is structured and works. So I decided to create my own VM, from scratch. I used Linux Mint, as I’m not a big fan of Ubuntu window manager.

It seems that I partly reached my goal: I was able to rebuild mangOH platform, and update the board :slight_smile:. I now have to create my first application…

You’ll find the steps I followed described here.

Disclaimers:

• I’m still a beginner in the world of mangOH, so do not consider my article as expert’s advice
  • I would recommend that you stick to the official VM, unless you want to do what I started to do: trying to understand the ins ou outs of mangOH development environment

Just added Developer Studio to the VM. Steps described here.

Thanks for writing that article @pascalb!

I’m updating the mangOH VM right now to use Ubuntu 18.04 which includes Gnome 3 rather than Unity so people might notice a few visual changes if they download the new VM.