How to connect Beaglebone Black to Internet using USB of mangOH red?

Greetings,

I wanted to access internet via mangOH red USB(CF3) on my beglebone black. I can verify that internet access via USB(CF3) port is possible when I checked it on windows and it works superbly. Can anyone guide me where should I start from?

I cannot detect the module upon connecting it(mangOH RED(WP7502)) beaglebone USB.

I could not install the driver provided at this link on my beaglebone black

https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/usb-drivers-linux-qmi-software-s2,-d-,34n2,-d-,53/

It seems a bit overkill to use a mangOH (or any WP) when you already have a full linux computer - the Beagle!

:open_mouth:

It would seem more appropriate to use something like this:

@awneil

Thanks for the reply.

My requirement forces me to opt the CF3 USB from mango OH red(I cannot opt the cape in my project). So is cross compilation tool chain only way to build an use the QMI driver noted at this

https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/usb-drivers-linux-qmi-software-s2,-d-,34n2,-d-,53/

or is there any other way to access internet with USB from WP7502?

To start with the driver provided got installed after updating kernel header file ie

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname-r)

followed by make and make install on (GobiNet and Serial).

After this I crould clearly see that MangoOH red connecting to USB of beaglebone without an issue

which was prooven by ls /dev where I could spot

/qcqmi0 and /ttyUSB0

followed by lsusb
which shocased Sierra device connected to one of the port.

I am now facing this:

Message from syslogd@Beaglebone at Oct 23 13:03:50 …
** kernel:[ 457.301738] BUG: spinlock bad magic on CPU#0, systemd-journal/1569**

** kernel:[ 457.308225] lock: 0xdf64841c, .magic: 00000000, .owner: /-1, .owner_cpu: 0**

** kernel:[ 463.000821] BUG: spinlock lockup suspected on CPU#0, systemd-journal/1569**

** kernel:[ 463.007895] lock: 0xdf64841c, .magic: 00000000, .owner: /-1, .owner_cpu: 0**

Message from syslogd@Beaglebone at Oct 23 13:06:53 …
** kernel:[ 230.361809] BUG: spinlock lockup suspected on CPU#0, dhcpcd/10182**

Message from syslogd@Beaglebone at Oct 23 13:06:53 …
** kernel:[ 230.368219] lock: 0xdf29041c, .magic: 00000000, .owner: /-1, .owner_cpu: 0**

All of a sudden beaglebone ssh terminal gets closed or /dev/USB0 and /dev/qcqmi0 wouldnt be listed under /dev can anyone explain me what am I facing and how to solve it ?

Note: Havent changed /etc/network/interface apart from the usual USB debuggin which is set static for ssh usage.S2.34N2.53 is the QMI driver version installed.

Thank you.

well it goes like this…

cfg_gateway.sh (6.7 KB)

One need to run this for setting up rmnet0 to usb0 network sharing.

This should do the trick. If this doesnt work try setting up the apn and check if the radio is on.

cm radio

Power: ON
Current Network Operator: Jio 4G
Current RAT: LTE network (LE_MRC_RAT_LTE)
Signal: Very strong signal strength (5)
PS: Packet Switched Registered, home network (LE_MRC_REG_HOME)

if this comes the radio is on if not add cm radio on

Now to set apn cm data apn jionet (Im using Jio 4G sim).

After this run cm data connect &

that should do just ping www.google.com to check if its work

note: The second procedure only gets internet from rmnet0 interface. If you want to get it through the usb1 of beaglebone you need to run cfg_gateway.sh

this can be run through following:

create a file in beaglebone at:
/etc/udev/rules.d/00-usb-sierra.rules //00-usb-sierra.rules this can be named anything just add.rules at the end

ACTION==“add”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1199”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“68c0”, ENV{DISPLAY}=":0", OWNER=“machinekit”, RUN+="/home/machinekit/usb-sierra.sh"

this should be added in 00-usb-sierra.rules

at /home/machinekit/usb-sierra.sh

add

#!/bin/bash
#file used for Sierra WP7502 static IP configuration upon plug-in
sleep 5s
ifconfig usb1 192.168.2.3
sleep 5s
sudo ssh root@192.168.2.2 ./cfg_gateway.sh -eaf
sleep 10s
sudo ssh root@192.168.2.2 ./cfg_gateway.sh -eaf

//Although running cfg_gateway.sh twice performs the same thing but I did experience no connection issue (MangOH red not working as modem).

This will make Beaglebone black connect to internet upon connecting (via USB) MangOH red (CF3) .