How do I get access the SD card in sandboxed application?

I have the mangOH Green with WP85.

I have built an application which contains 1 sandboxed app and 1 unsandboxed app that communicate via a legato API.

The SD card is mounted in the unsandboxed app in /mnt/userrw/sdcard directory.
This can read and write files on the SD card OK.

The sandboxed app has an adef file with:

requires:
{

dir:
{
	/mnt/userrw/sdcard		/mnt/userrw/sdcard
}

file:
{
	/bin/sh							/bin/
	/bin/cp							/bin/
}

}

The app can list filenames from that directory with no problem.
When I attempt to copy a file from the SD card directory to a local directory, it gives file permission error for the SD card location:

cp: can’t open ‘/mnt/userrw/sdcard/TLCU.xml’ : permission denied

I first set the permissions of the file using chmod as shown here:
https://docs.legato.io/latest/defFilesAdef.html#defFilesAdef_requiresDir

I then use a pipe to execute the linux command “cp” to copy. It obviously recognises the file as being there, but denies permission to copy the file from the SD card.

The C commands I am using are:

chmod ("/mnt/userrw/sdcard/TLCU.xml", S_IRWXU | S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO);
fp = popen("/bin/cp   /mnt/userrw/sdcard/TLCU.xml   /TLCU.xml 2>&1", "r");

What can I do to set the permissions and copy the file from the SD card into the sandboxed directory so that I can work on it?

You cannot do that due to smack constraints. You will need to unsandbox your app

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

When the unsandboxed mounts the SD card, the sandboxed app can list the contents of the SD card, but can’t do anything else. I don’t see the point of that.

Can I mount the SD card from within the sandboxed app? Then I could access the files that way.

in your sandboxed apps .adef try to add this

requires:
{
	device:
	{
		[rw] /mnt/userrw/sdcard		/mnt/userrw/sdcard
	}

}

Hi Francis,
I just tried that, it compiled, but the mangOH wouldn’t load the code.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ok did you make a “make clean” of your project ?
To take effect of the .adef change.

I have a couple of script files, the first contains:
mkapp TLCU.adef -t wp85

The second contains:
app install TLCU.wp85.update 192.168.2.2

When I compile, it takes a lot longer when I change the adef file.
Is there something I need to include in either of these that makes it clean?

No it’s good. What is error message when you try to install the app ?

adef contains:
requires:
{

device:
{
	// serial ports
	[rw]    /dev/ttyHS0   /dev/ttyHS0
	[rw]    /dev/ttyHSL1  /dev/ttyHSL1
	[rw]    /mnt/userrw/sdcard		/mnt/userrw/sdcard
}

I have cut the report down, so the first line here states that the directory is not a device file… SUCCESS! and the final line states disconnect.

Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.err Legato: =ERR= | supervisor[506]/supervisor T=main | app.c GetDevID() 635 | ‘/mnt/userrw/sdcard’ is not a device file. Success.
Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.err Legato: =ERR= | supervisor[506]/supervisor T=main | apps.c LaunchApp() 663 | Application ‘TLCU’ cannot run.
Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.info Legato: INFO | updateDaemon[533]/updateDaemon T=main | app.c app_InstallIndividual() 662 | App TLCU <60343d4b205504f12399462f51284f89> installed
Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.info Legato: INFO | updateDaemon[533]/updateDaemon T=main | updateDaemon.c ApplyAppUpdate() 664 | App ‘TLCU<60343d4b205504f12399462f51284f89>’ installed properly.
Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.info Legato: INFO | updateDaemon[533]/updateDaemon T=main | updateDaemon.c StartProbation() 190 | System on probation (timer started).
Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.info Legato: INFO | avcDaemon[562]/avcDaemon T=main | assetData.c assetData_CreateInstanceById() 3079 | Finished creating instance 0 for TLCU/0

Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 user.info Legato: INFO | avcDaemon[562]/avcDaemon T=main | assetData.c assetData_CreateInstanceById() 3079 | Finished creating instance 5 for TLCU/1
Jan 6 04:58:23 swi-mdm9x15 authpriv.info dropbear[9665]: Exit (root): Disconnect received

Removal of the line from the adef restores it to a working system.

Ok I’m not expert for this. Sorry can’t help you more…

@AndrewMawdsley Could you please let me know how you are mounting your SD card? I have a similar requirement here and when I try to create an init .sh script to mount the sd car via mount command it ends up hanging and freezing the whole device i.e. when I do app status I nvr get any response which makes me believe that legato is freezing as a result of that. I think I need to mount the SD card via application side instead of kernel side. Could you tell me how you are doing that via an APP? is it just having a system call that does mount?

Hi Ghaddam,

I don’t use a script. Inside the application, I have a C system call that runs the mount command.

If you were to mount manually:

mkdir -p /mnt/userrw/sdcard
/bin/mount -t auto -o sync -o rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 “/mnt/userrw/sdcard”
df –h			

df checks that it mounted correctly (using the human readable switch), which shows
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/userrw/sdcard

To open in C, I use popen so that I can capture the result that it returns:

FILE *fp;
char localresponse[40]="";

fp = popen("/bin/mount -t auto -o sync -o rw /dev/mmcblk0p1 “/mnt/userrw/sdcard” 2>&1", “r”);
while (fgets(localresponse, sizeof(localresponse)-1, fp) != NULL) {
… code to capture the output strings…
}
pclose(fp); // close the pipe

Note:

1. The SD card must be present at power-on
  2. To access the SD card, the app must be unboxed
  3. Because it is unboxed, you don’t have to register the commands in the adef file.